8/30/08

(Again!) Oh No, Not Again

I am doing the Saturday afternoon news junkie thing and suddenly the fan starts to tip back and forth... the plants start to shake... I know living anywhere has risks, but having felt the tremors of the Sichuan earthquake the first time under exactly the same circumstances, I can only pray that it was in my head.

UPDATE 7:00pm:
It's official. The AP says, "China's official Xinhua News Agency says a 6.1 magnitude earthquake has struck Sichuan province. There were no reports of casualties. Xinhua said Saturday the earthquake hit 31 miles southeast of Panzhihua city, near the border with Yunnan province On May 12, a 7.9 magnitude earthquake in Sichuan province killed nearly 70,000 people and left 5 million homeless. "

The initial reports of the May 12th earthquake from the AP were 900 dead. I hope the 'no casualties' reports hold true this time. I have to say my heart was racing and I froze to make sure everything was really shaking, then I jumped up and ran to the bathroom for safety. In this 6th floor walk-up apartment made of concrete blocks, I was truly panicked and reminded how utterly devastating it would be to experience another massive natural disaster. Oh, and it took me a few minutes to reconcile these thoughts as I recalled the anniversary of Katrina today and a giant storm aiming for the Gulf Coast in the states.

UPDATE Next Day:

Official (early) Reports Say... An earthquake about six miles deep killed 25 people, injured 192 people, damaged or destroyed more than 100,000 homes and affected at least 440,000 residents, state media said on Sunday.

It added that 656 schools had also been damaged and that heavy rain and difficult terrain were hampering rescue efforts, with mobile telephone communications patchy. State television showed pictures of houses with large cracks in their sides, broken tiles on the road and people receiving medical attention under tents.


I was again in the living room reading on a lazy Sunday afternoon... and the shakes started again today. I called a friend who was running out of his apartment. This is normal and we will all have to adjust, but I must admit that it is a bit unsettling to have felt each and every one of these things. I am slightly envious of my friends who are in a taxi or playing basketball and don't feel a thing.

No comments:

Why Lotus? Why Pine?

The lotus signifies the progress of the soul from the primeval mud of materialism, through the waters of experience, and into the bright sunshine of enlightenment.

The pine signifies longevity and endurance because of its green foliage year round. In both good and bad weather, the pine thrives year after year thus it also represents pure life and constancy in the face of adversity.

Yunnan Province is a mountain landscape created when the Indian Sub-continent crashed into the tropical lowlands of Burma. It is a place with hundreds of unique species and dozens of amazing topographies. When I walk the mountains of Yunnan, I breathe fresh pine air and marvel at the indigenous wildflowers. Yunnan is also the conduit through which Buddhism came to China, along the caravan trails from India. The lotus is a Buddhist symbol of purity and perfection. When I photograph these flowers, I am always captivated by their geometry and peace-inspiring colors.

my motto

Look well to this day For it is life The very best of life.
In its brief course lie all The realities and truths of existence,
The joy of growth, the splendor of action, The glory of power.
For yesterday is but a memory. And tomorrow is only a vision.
But today well lived Makes every yesterday a memory of happiness And every tomorrow a vision of hope.
Look well, therefore to this day.

--from the Sanskrit